Monday, January 16, 2012

Setting Goals

AZTF Fellow - Thai Nguyen

I often tell my students that before going on a road trip, it is important to know where you are going and how you are going to get there.  Students need to know the same thing when it comes to their education.  At the beginning of every quarter, I have my students set two goals: one academic and one behavior.  Goals need to be specific, challenging, and realistic.  Some of my students’ academic goals include getting an 80% or higher on all assessments, improving reading fluency by at least 20 words per minute, and receiving all 4s on the writing benchmark.  Having no tardies, completing homework every night, and receiving the “terrific kid” award are some of my students’ behavior goals. 

Before I have students write their goals, I share with them my goals.  My academic goal this quarter is for my students to receive an 80% average on all math assessments and an 80% average on at least one reading assessment.  My students have demonstrated that they can achieve some of the top math scores in the district.  I want my students to continue this success.  I would also like my students to have greater success in reading.  Students have come close but have not averaged at least 80% on one reading assessment this school year. 

My behavior goal this quarter is to give out no more than four strikes a day.  A strike is given to a student when he or she does not follow a class or school rule, e.g. talking when the teacher is talking, not having shirt tucked in, or being off task.  I have a fantastic group of students who are eager to please and eager to learn.  But sometimes students do not follow directions and they receive strikes.  As a teacher, I do not like giving out strikes and only do so as a last resort.  I hope that my students can work together to achieve this goal.

Where are you going and how are you getting there?  Having specific, challenging, and realistic goals give students a sense of purpose.  And by having students come up with their own individual goals, they become personally accountable.  With hard work and high expectations, all students will reach their destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment