Monday, January 9, 2012

Adam

AZTF Fellow - Jon Short
Today, I’m exiting a student from Special Education. Adam, 7th grade, has worked exceptionally hard, and according to cognitive, academic, and district testing, Adam is on grade level and doesn’t need any more support. Not only will he be exited from my classes, he’ll be exited from speech. “He just doesn’t need it”, our speech therapist said, “At this point, he’s doing so well that it would actually hurt him to miss class.”

The following are examples of Adam’s growth since I started working with him:

The most complex word Adam could read in 2009: can
The most complex word Adam can read in 2011: Sagittarius

The most complex math problem Adam could complete in 2009: 11 – 3 = 8
The most complex math problem Adam can complete in 2011: 4x – (4 + 4 ÷ 2) = 52/5

Adam’s 20 second writing sample in 2009: go et suf an
Adam’s 20 second writing sample in 2011: The two kids can run quickly around the park.

Number of times Adam volunteers to read aloud or answer a question in a ½ hour in 2009: 0
Number of times Adam volunteers to read aloud or answer a question in a ½ hour in 2011: 4

Percentage of homework completion in 2009: 20%
Percentage of homework completion in 2011: 90%

Adam’s reading level in 2009: “Falls Far Below Grade Level”
Adam’s reading level in 2011: Meets Grade Level Expectations”

In thinking about Adam’s growth. In 2009, I couldn’t get Adam to say more than two words. What Adam needed more than anything was the confidence and permission to be a successful student.  Today he’s confident and eager to succeed. He’s not perfect, but he learns and socializes in step with the rest of his class.

It’s students like Adam that reminds me how strange Special Education is for the teacher. This victory doesn’t exactly feel exciting. I have to remind myself that my victories come in the form of not being needed anymore.

Still, he pops in my room every now and then just to check in on me and let me know how he’s doing. In short, he’s doing well.

- Jon Short, Arizona Teaching Fellow 

No comments:

Post a Comment