Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Resolutions for a New Semester

Sometimes when I am having an off week with my students, I write on top of the white board a quote that I believe in very deeply.

“Every day is another chance to get things right.” – Lauryn Hill, R&B singer

I have never been the perfect student or the perfect teacher and rarely have I ever been the perfect human being.  However, as the quote suggests I can always try again tomorrow to do things right—to recognize my faults and learn from my mistakes.

The end of the first semester comes at the perfect time for reflection and renewal for a new semester. What will our team norms be? We are team “I”.  My team is designated for students with learning and behavioral differences. Despite these differences, I can acknowledge that my students have and will continue to experience the word differently…but not less. My students are just as hard working and deserving as any other student on the advanced team.

So, in order give my students the best possible start next semester, team norms will be established. Here are some of my ideas:

·      Enforcing seat assignments
·      All food needs to be put away before entering the building and classroom
·      Enforcing the school policy on tardies
·      All non-authorized electronics are out of site for the entire class period

Of course I will still have my classroom rules, which encourage students to be prompt, prepared, and polite, but I think the use of team norms will be extremely beneficial in creating a consistent academic environment.

Cheers to the New Year!
                                   
AZTF Ambassador - Kelsey Alhmark

No comments:

Post a Comment