Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Goodbye and Looking Forward

AZTF Teaching Fellow Jon Short

As an AZTF Ambassador, I’ve spent a lot of time time talking to candidates. I’ve answered thousands of phone calls and emails. When I look back at these conversations, I start to see a trend. People really want better for Arizona’s youth.  I’ve met people who have taught in Korea for 10 years, who are accomplished social workers, and who ran their own successful NGOs. I’ve met accomplished college students and esteemed, tenured professors. I’ve met ex-marines and current firefighters. I’ve met professional dancers, pianists, and boxers. I’m constantly amazed at how many people from all ages and industries want to make Arizona a better place through education.

As I get to know our new Fellow cohort (and get to welcome in more after our upcoming interviews), it makes me think about my 2008 Fellow cohort. Last weekend, I went to a concert with one Teaching Fellow from my year and went biking with another the next day. I still rely on many of my cohort members for lesson plan advice. My cohort has helped me become the best teacher and well-rounded person I can be.

Being part of Arizona Teaching Fellows (actually, it was called Phoenix Teaching Fellows when I joined) has been one of the best things I’ve ever done. AZTF gave the chance to show Arizona I can raise achievement levels and dispel the myth that Special Education students can’t succeed. I’m grateful to the program for that, which is why I support it any way I can. I’ve supported AZTF in lots of ways in the past, and I’m excited for the new ways I’ll get to help build tomorrow’s brilliant teachers and leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment