Friday, March 16, 2012

Transformation

2012 Teaching Fellow: Kelsey Ahlmark

“The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination.” John Schaar

Times are changing. People are being educated at a higher level and in more places than ever before. Through my own teaching experience I feel strongly that in order for schools to keep up with the demand of education and the changing world, we as teachers must always think creatively and try new things. And, teachers need proven practices so students can experience success both in and out of the classroom.

Unfortunately, sometimes new isn’t always accepted, as old is sometimes comfortable for all of us. This is especially true in the career of teaching.  It was daunting at first to attempt new strategies, usure of what the outcome would be. But I found that using new methods that elicit differentiated learning, partner work, and technology are worth the gamble because they do increase student involvement and achievement in the classroom.

In my opinion, the best teaching comes out of taking risks, based on evidence, and continually reflecting on and refining what we do to always do better by our kids. The mindset of our teachers should be focused on implementing creativity and innovation as effective, best practices. 

An example of how to move our teaching forward is to center on how we as educators can focus on student-centered learning. This practice was useful to me when I was customizing learning for individual students so that they become lifelong learners using 21st century techniques in technology and software. To give an example, I allowed my students several options when presenting their recent research projects on a disease. Students used their netbooks to research a disease of their choice. Students were then given the option of presenting their information in a pamphlet, poster, or word document form. By giving students options in the disease they researched and how they presented the information that was required of them, I engaged students in their personal preferences. The results were amazing! Students submitted work that went beyond what was expected and included much more research about their disease than what was required. One student even opted to make and present a PowerPoint because she felt it would be “more informative”.

As a teacher, I know I want to be the best for my students, which is why I am always thinking about how I can get better results. The goal is for my teaching to reflect how I view my students in that I appreciate them for being different and adjusting my teaching to their unique interests and needs in order to be successful individuals in a changing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment