Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Life of Purpose

AZTF Fellow - Yani Delima

As a current Arizona Teaching Fellow and first year teacher, I have learned more than I ever imagined in such a brief time.  I've learned that building rapport and investing in my students is the cornerstone to academic success. With the fall semester in full force I have worked to find various ways to motivate my students and ensure their growth.

One of the biggest challenges I've had this year hasn’t stemmed from the sleepless nights planning lessons, tracking progress, or writing Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) for my special education students.  My biggest hurdle has been promoting academic success to students who might not have received the guidance and support to accomplish BIG goals.  I know my efforts, and the efforts of my coworkers at Amy Huston Academy in Phoenix, CAN and WILL be the difference in these students’ lives.

Can you imagine going to work and not know your purpose…not know why you put in such tireless effort on a daily basis?  I can’t!  As a teacher in a high needs classroom, I know my purpose lies in the potential of my students.  Regardless of (or perhaps even because of) the challenges my students face in their lives, I see future leaders.  I see future parents and community role models. I see greatness. Yet, without support and guidance, their potential to be great may be lost.  As a teacher it is my responsibility to open my students’ eyes to the opportunities and world around them. I must constantly motivate them to do more than they think possible.  Currently, I am working with a school counselor to provide additional classroom lessons on the importance of succeeding in school, community service, life skills, etc.  It’s an opportunity to change their thinking and look at the world through a different lens, a lens in which they too see purpose and greatness in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment